The Institute of Formal and Applied Linguistics (ÚFAL) seeks fellows for ~1 year post-doc or “pre-doc” internships, i.e. shortly after your PhD or within your PhD studies:
Prague is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe with the whole city covered by fast, convenient public transportation. In addition, Prague ranks as the 10th safest city in the whole Europe. Currently, the Institute resides in two buildings — the old one is located in the very heart of the historical center at Mala Strana in walking distance to all the main Prague attractions. The recently built modern one is in Troja, close to the greenery of Stromovka park, great for all outdoor activities incl. wild water canal for kayaks.
We offer multiple positions to choose from a wide range of ongoing projects:
ELITR: (EU H2020, http://elitr.eu/)
- Speech recognition, esp. end-to-end neural, domain adaptation, speaker adaptation, handling non-native speech
- Machine translation, esp. document-level and/or highly multi-lingual
- End-to-end speech translation
- Automatic summarization, esp. summarization of meeting transcripts
Bergamot: (EU H2020, http://browser.mt/)
- Space and time efficient models
- Multi-lingual MT
- User interfaces for translating into a language the user does not speak
- Domain adaptation
- Confidence/quality estimation
NEUREM3: (Grant Agency of the Czech Republic, basic research)
- Multi-lingual and multi-modal representations in many possible NLP tasks
- Machine translation, image and video captioning, (visual) question answering, …
- Methods of representation visualization and analysis
- Methods of representation evaluation
Your salary will be above Charles University salary tables. Arguably, it may seem low compared to e.g. the UK or Germany but the living costs are lower here. Get in touch to find out more.
COVID-19 and Travels to Prague
Should COVID-19 limit your travels, we are happy to start your position remotely (this will involve certain administrative hurdles).
The pandemic situation in the Czech Republic is currently exceptionally well managed. After serious close-downs, everything is stepwise reopening again, see the flattening curves and more details on Wikipedia.
Apply by sending your CV and a short cover letter to:
- Ondřej Bojar (principal investigator for Charles University in these projects) at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tea Vojtěchová (project administrator) at email@example.com
- Applications deadline: end of May 2020
- Interviews with prospective candidates: during May and June 2020
- Start at your earliest convenience, immediately or e.g. September, October, at the latest January 2021